Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Zombies, Zombies, Zombies

So, I would like to weigh in on this whole zombie obsession that's been going on in pop culture for the last several years. Let me start off by saying that I love zombies. I do. My favorite romance movie from the ages of 11 to whatever year that was I saw Across the Universe was Return of the Living Dead 3. True story. I could list all the reasons that I love zombies, but I don't really need to. All I need to say is that they eat faces and there's nothing more endearing than a creature that eats faces.


That being said, I'm more than a little over them. I still love them, I'm just a little tired of seeing them every time I turn on my computer/tv/open a book/walk outside my house. Seriously, just last year there were 12 major zombie movie releases. I don't take credit for this statistic being right, but that's the statistic that zombiezonenews.com has and by their name I'm just going to assume they know what their talking about. You can probably quintuplet that for books and I won't even get into comics.
Well, maybe I'll get into comics a little bit. Once upon a time, Marvel did a short run of something called Marvel Zombies. Like 5 issues run. Fan boys and girls rejoiced and that was the end of it. Now, I think I see more Marvel Zombie books than I do regular ones. I'm not blaming them for wanting to make a buck, but it's symptomatic.
The CDC, in an effort to get kids who don't care about anything that could actually help them, to pay attention to a public service announcement made an infectious disease meme that substituted zombie infection for infectious disease.
I'm pretty sure it's against some law to make a video game with no zombies in it.
Hell, even Once Upon a Time (set in fairy tale land for those who don't know) incorporated zombies. Of course. Because EVERYTHING EVER NEEDS MORE ZOMBIES.

Here's the thing, no, everything really doesn't. Nothing would make me happier than if somehow the world started treating zombies like an expensive, tasty spice. You don't use too much, but you throw a dash in to something from time to time to make it more interesting.
Which really is the problem, zombies were once upon a time interesting. There are still interesting ones out there. Some amazing books and movies are still made. Unfortunately it's hard to find them in the sea of crap that floods out of your eBook and tv screen, but they're there. I still dig for them, because I do still love me some zombie fun.
It's time for entertainment to move on to something else. Something new and interesting to the non horror obsessed masses. Like werewolves. Well, not werewolves, because I love werewolves more than any other horror fantasy creature, and g'damn look how I feel about this zombie thing. You really want to read that rant?

(P.S. If you are genuinely excited for a potential zombie apocalypse to happen, keep in mind, that you will probably die. I know I will. There are too many people I love for me to not die if one of them gets infected. Mostly the mini people.)

2 comments:

  1. Agreed, the zombie craze has gotten out of control, but even with the wareworlves thing, they're likely to become as romantically neutered as the vampires. Thanks, Stephanie Meyers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A monster that used to be your asshole boss, but that now you can kill with a chainsaw and be a hero. That is the appeal of zombies.

    ReplyDelete